stuff, so there!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Some interesting bit of history........

The other day, dad was trying to telling me the history of flipping people off and where it started, but he did not describe it very well, so last night I looked it up on the internet and found this.........(I'm putting it in quotes because it's not my own words and in case if they happen to be blog surfing and come across mine, they can't sue me or anything............or at least now they know that I'm not trying to take credit for it)

"a history lesson: the middle finger

did you know that the whole "flip off" thing has a history to it? you're about to...

before the battle of agincourt in 1415, the french, anticipating victory over the english, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured english soldiers. without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned english longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future.

this famous weapon was made of the native english yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

much to the bewilderment of the french, the english won a major upset and began mocking the french by waving their middle fingers at the defeated french, saying, "see, we can still pluck yew! "pluck yew!" since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'f', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!

it is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

(Mary) Now we all know the interesting history of the middle finger...............

Well...................I guess that I havta go do some random stuff now. I hope to see you all soon

Mary

4 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

Wow you and dad cant spend any more time together...you talk about weird things.

6:22 PM

 
Blogger Leah said...

I hope the show went well last night...break a leg tonight!!

9:44 AM

 
Blogger Mary said...

Thank you, and it did go very well. Katie, in a way you are right, I don't know how we brought it up.......we just did. It's not as bad as the question (which was said by me, NOT DAD!!)of "if there is a full moon durring the day, will someone who is a warewolf turn into one?" I think this is true because they never specifically say that it has to be night when they come out. Mr. Ladd thinks that it's not possible for one to come out durring the day, but he has less.......evidence(?)..........then I do

12:49 PM

 
Blogger Jess-Beast said...

MARY POST!!!!!

12:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home